Greetings to the fine people of the Middle Kingdom,
We hope this finds you well, and happy.
We would like to express our deepest thanks to all those who have worked to make the transition back to in-person activities happen. A special thanks goes to Their Majesties and Curia for working diligently even when in-person events were not happening so that the Kingdom could return strong. The hard work that event staff have had to put forth in the past few months to get Our weekend events back on the calendar is not lost on Us, and We thank you for taking time so that everyone can enjoy your event.
We believe that the people of the Midrealm are its strength. Just as the dragon is not defined by its wings or claws alone, the Middle Kingdom is not defined by a single activity, but by all, not by one person or group, but by the diversity of people who contribute. We may be potters, cooks, rapier fighters, equestrians, clothiers, archers, and more. But at the beginning and the end, we are Midrealmers. All of us together make the Midrealm stronger and better. We are ONE MIDREALM! #OneMidrealm
As we all return to regular activities, We would ask that you be kind to each other, be forgiving of perceived slights, and communicate openly. Many of those you encounter have had a difficult time through the shutdown and the pandemic. Further, we ask that combatants take their return slowly. Spend as much time as you need getting your skills back. And lighten up a bit in your fights, both in giving and receiving. Communicate more thoroughly with your partners.
With the return to activities and a very short time as Heirs, Our minds turn quickly to Our Crown Tournament. Please find the rules for Our Crown and the specific information regarding the event below:
All letters of intent must be sent to Their Royal Highnesses and the Kingdom Seneschal no later than 5 pm (EST) 25 September 2021 and shall be submitted in accordance with Kingdom Law.
The Crown Tournament will be held in Our Barony of Sternfeld on 16 October Anno Societatis LVI (56; 2021)
- Both combatant and consort must be acceptable to the Crown.
- Both combatant and consort must be a citizen of the Middle Kingdom as stated in Kingdom Law.
- Both combatant’s and consort’s SCA membership must not expire prior to October 2022.
- Both combatant and consort must read Kingdom Law and Corpora.
- If you are spoken to about your calibration and/or behavior by the KEM or the Crown during the tournament, you accept that you may be required to resign from the list and withdraw from the tournament, regardless of how many wins or loses you may have had.
- Present to the station you aspire. The expectation is to have a historic presence upon the field based on documentation, regardless of time period. All items are required to be in good repair. Garments should not be torn or have excessive stains. Your harness should not be rusty, all paint should be new or in good condition. Helmets will not have stickers or tape marks. Shields may not have obviously mundane garden hose edging, nor may the edging be zip-tied onto the shield. Shields and armor may not be covered or held on with duct tape. No visible plastic or glaring non-medieval items will be allowed; plastic bosses and basket hilts will be permitted. No modern sporting equipment may be visible. Non-medieval shoes, with the exception of tennis shoes, may be worn but they must appear to be medieval. No visible tennis shoes are allowed.
Tournament Rules, Weapons and Format
- Middle Kingdom rules and general customs for tournaments will be used.
- Tournament shields only. Shield size should be proportional and historically appropriate to your portrayal. If you are unsure, please ask the Crown.
- All weapons forms and styles which are legal in the Middle Kingdom shall be allowed in Crown, with the exception of madu. Madu is disallowed. “Buckler and weapon” shall be considered different from “shield and weapon”. Backup weapons are permitted. There shall be no length restriction on weapons. The tournament space may force restrictions of pole weapons/spears of greater length, and a determination will be made on that day with consultation of the Marshallate. The Crown shall have final say on any weapon or shield. If in doubt, please contact the Crown.
- Crown Tournament will be a randomly drawn double elimination tournament
All pairings in the Crown Tournament will be best 2 out of 3 fights, with no repeating weapons styles. Weapons styles need not be matched.
- The Finals of the Crown tournament will be the best 3 out of 5 with matching weapons styles. The highest-ranking Consort may choose the first match, with the second match being chosen by the remaining Consort. The Combatants may choose the remaining matched weapons styles. Should they be unable to agree, Her Majesty will select the weapons styles.
Yours in Service to the Middle Kingdom,
Ullr and AnneLyse
Tanist and Tanista