Heraldic Education Deputy of the Midrealm
The Office of Buckler Herald is responsible for overseeing heraldic education in the Middle Kingdom. It is our vision to foster enthusiasm and knowledge of heraldic practice, both within SCA purview and through a historic lens; to empower our populace to serve in a heraldic capacity; to contribute to the historic feel of events through competent vocal work and quality heraldic display in keeping with historic research; to be innovative and noteworthy in heraldic education within the Knowne World.
NOTE: These training materials are intended to be a resource for heralds (and civilians) across the Known World, but may be Kingdom-specific, as they are produced by heralds in the Middle Kingdom. Should you bump up against Inter-Kingdom Anthropology (in which our Kingdom does something different from yours), apply your Kingdom’s conventions where you live; consult a local senior herald for confirmation.
Job Descriptions and Forms
Buckler’s Learning Library
- Writing Midrealm Award Recommendations: Finding someone’s device – 4m41s video by Brynn Herleifsson about searching the Ordinary and Armorial (O and A) for your associate’s personal device. While not required, this effort on your part greatly assists the Kingdom!
Articles on SCA Topics
- Kingdom Court Cheat Sheet – Version 2 (William and Isolde, AS 52) – A 5-page document detailing what the Court Herald of Record needs to manage. Includes a one-page fillable “MK Court Mad-Lib” which will enable you to file your court report more easily! Submissions: Links for Permissions to Conflict and heraldic wills at Heraldry.sca.com
- Tournament Heralding Cheat Sheet (Cellach and Vukasin, AS 52) – A 4-page document describing (armored) tournament lists including the pertinent people with whom heralds interact, what the herald’s job is (and is not), practical tips and tricks for “performance” and tournament styles at a glance.
Resources & Links
- SCA Date conversion chart
- SCA College of Heralds
Foreign Colleges of Heralds (by precedence):
- Names Archive at the Academy of Saint Gabriel
- Family Search – Caveat Emptor. This site is very useful for documenting late-period names, but requires a bit of training. Module coming soon!
- West Kingdom College of Heralds
- East Kingdom College of Heralds
- Atenveldt College of Heralds
- Meridies College of Heralds
- Caid College of Heralds
- Ansteorra College of Heralds
- An Tir College of Heralds
- Calontir College of Heralds
- Trimaris College of Heralds
- Outlands College of Heralds
- Drachenwald College of Heralds
- Artemisia College of Heralds
- AEthelmaerc College of Heralds
- Ealdormere College of Heralds
- Lochac College of Heralds
- Northshield Polaris Principal Herald
- Gleann Abhann College of Heralds
- Avacal College of Heralds
Modern Colleges of Arms or Heraldic Authorities
- United Kingdom College of Arms
- American College of Heraldry
- The Heraldry Society (UK)
- Canadian Heraldic Authority
- Databank Heraldiek in Vlaanderen (Flanders) – In Dutch
- Nat’l Archives of South Africa
- The Institute of Heraldry (US Army)
Historical Rolls of Arms
- Period Rolls of Arms and Armorials (and How To Find Them) at SCA.org
- An Annotated List of Period Armorials Available Online by Coblaith Muimnech
- Period Rolls of Arms compiled by Yehuda ben Moshe
- Rolls of Arms compiled at Larsdatter
Other Heraldic Resources
- [Bardsley] Bardsley, Charles. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames
- [Johnston] Johnston, James R. Place-Names of Scotland
- [Parker] Parker, James. A Glossary of Terms used in Heraldry
- [Searle] Searle, William George. Onomasticon Anglo-Saxonicum
- [Woulfe] Woulfe, Patrick. Sloinnte Gaedheal is Gall: Irish Names and Surnames
- Foster, Joseph. The register of admissions to Gray’s inn, 1521-1889 together with the Register of Merriages in Grey’s Inn Chapel, 1695-1754.
- [Cleasby and Vigfusson] Cleasby, Richard, and Gudbrand Vigfusson, An Icelandic-English Dictionary
- [Bosworth and Toller] Bosworth, Joseph and T. Northcote Toller An Anglo-Saxon Dictionary.