TEMPORARY VARIANCE GRANTED FOR PENNSIC 2019
By Mike Watkins
Issued July 14th, 2019
YOUTH PARTICIPATION AND SUPERVISION POLICY
- Parents are responsible for the monitoring and knowing the location of their minor children under the age of 18 at all times.
- Parents are responsible for the behavior of their minor children at all times regardless of their location or activity.
- Minors under the age of 12 must be directly supervised by their parents within sight or sound at all times unless the Parents arrange with someone to watch their minor children for a specified time or place. That is a private agreement between the Parents and the Supervising Person. The Supervisor must have the ability to contact the parents at all times. The SCA is not a part of that arrangement or agreement at any time.
- After sunrise and before sunset, Parents who have minor children 12 years of age or older do not need to be in line-of-sight of their minor children, however, they are still fully responsible for maintaining contact and knowing the location of their children.
- After 10 pm local time and before sunrise, Parents are required to keep their minor children under the age of 16 within sight or sound at all times or arrange for a responsible trusted person to maintain supervision in their absence. The Supervisor must have the ability to contact the parents at all times. The SCA is not a part of that arrangement or agreement at any time.
Interpretation: The term “sight” or ”sound” means that a parent or supervisor must have sufficient proximity to effectively supervise the minor children. In practice, this is the “the short distance in which a parent can exert command and control” over their minor children. That can be anywhere in camp or in their immediate vicinity which allows them to respond quickly for safety or control issues.
UPDATED YOUTH POLICY FOR PENNSIC WAR 48 (2019) From, Mike Watkins, Society Seneschal.
The original May 2, 2019 Pennsic rules for minors are reinstated and can be used as published this year. As a history, in January 2018 the Board approved a change to the Seneschal’s Handbook regarding parental responsibility for minor children at events. A few weeks ago, I was requested to issue a variance for Pennsic from the January 2018 Seneschal’s Handbook rules for Pennsic 2019 about minor participation and activity. A variance was granted. That variance is hereby null and void. Again, the original May 2, 2019 Pennsic rules for minors can be used as published this year.
The Pennsic Site Rules can be viewed here: http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn48/GENERAL/siterules.pdf