As a result of feedback on the latest edition of the Armored Combat Handbook we are going to run an experiment to see if thrusting tips on both ends of a single handed weapon will work in a Midrealm context. Here is the information for the experiment:
Midrealm Butt spike Experiment 11.12.2023
(Butt spikes are currently already approved for use at Society level)
- Butt spikes on single hand swords only? No, all weapons under 48” long, both sides of sword can have thrusting tips.
- If a butt spike is on a sword, can the sword still also have a thrusting tip? yes
- What’s the butt spike construction method? Same as any tip, if on a basket hilted weapon, the butt spike must have a ½” of clearance away from the basket / any mechanical attachment method before starting to build the padded tip, and the tip padding goes onto a rattan only.
- What’s the butt spike inspection method? Ensure ½” of clearance from basket or other hard surface, padding to be on rattan surface only, and padded like every other thrusting tip.
- What will be the testing period? This will have a 3 month pilot period, at the end of the 3 months, a review of reported data shall occur, and be submitted to KEM. (KEM may choose to Extend for another 3 months if necessary, based on data, or lack of data.)
- Reporting method? All testers shall fill out a Google cloud report form after every event they use it.
- All appropriate Midrealm Experimental Weapons rules shall be in place and utilized for this test.
- To enroll in the test email Sir Draenge ([email protected]) and Duke Eikbrandr ([email protected]) – include several pictures of the weapons you intend to use from multiple angles so we can validate the weapon’s construction.